BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:23 am

Skidmark

Skidmark
Hey all
So I'm getting on with bringing this k100rs special edition back to life. So far I've stripped and cleaned the tank, found the fuel pump wires rotted out with the positive line just floating! I've replaced the spark plugs and it tested OK on cranking as all 4 had a bright spark. 

I'm now onto the injectors, I've took them out and faced them away from the bike on the rail and tested them on cranking. After a few minutes with a combination of carb cleaner and redex via a pressurised syringe I restored the squirt so they were all the same. I've just fetched fresh orings and I'm about to refit them.

I want to test to se if it will fire from an external tank and pump before I put everything back together again. There were two pipes connected to the tank on the left side toward the front, one pipe goes directly to the tank (toward the front) and the other one goes down behind the airbox/gubbins?

Which one do I feed from my external pump and should I expect petrol to come out of the other one as the return?

Thanks for the help.
Mark

2Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:08 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Front tube is the return line to the tank, rear tube is the feed line from the pump.
Caution: do not use standard fuel lines into the tank; in immersion they must have a double layer, inside and outside the hose. They are rated NBR/NBR. 
Standard fuel hose will leak quickly.

3Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:55 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
jbt wrote:do not use standard fuel lines into the tank; in immersion they must have a double layer, inside and outside the hose. They are rated NBR/NBR. 

I think he means don't use standard fuel line inside of the tank. Regular fuel line is not submersible.

The gas tank front pipe is the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. The rear pipe is from the fuel pump to the rear pipe on the fuel rail.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:01 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
The exterior fuel hose to use is CR/CMD/NBR or SAEJ30R9. Fuel-submersible hoses used outside the tank will break down from heat, oil and ozone exposure.

5Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:05 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:
jbt wrote:do not use standard fuel lines into the tank; in immersion they must have a double layer, inside and outside the hose. They are rated NBR/NBR. 

I think he means don't use standard fuel line inside of the tank 

Sorry, I see no difference between "into the tank" and "inside of the tank"?
But english is not my mother tongue. Can someone explain me so I won't do this mistake again? (And could be arrogant to my daughter who is studying english!  Very Happy)

6Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:27 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I figured that it was because English is not your first language.

into is a preposition implying movement (going into a house)

inside is a noun that refers to the location of something (being inside of the house)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

7Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:24 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
You can ride your Brick into the barn through its door so it can be inside the barn out of the weather, but you should open the door first. Smile

8Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:33 pm

Skidmark

Skidmark
Thanks guys , I had the input back to front and was pumping fuel backwards around the circuit. I had a quick try the right way round but my battery was depleted so we will carry on the battle tomorrow.
The cheap clicker pump didn't have enough beans to drive the injectors for it to idle smoothly but had enough psi for a face wash on disconnection. I have a subaru high pressure pump I will swap out and try again tomorrow.

So far it feels like its just the fuel pressure that's lacking. Great bike to work on so far.

9Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:32 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Careful with the fuel pump. The bike's pressure regulator is capped at around 30psi idle and up to approx 36-38psi flat out. The pump is rated at 68psi, so don't go much higher than that (70psi maybe).

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

10Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:39 am

Skidmark

Skidmark
The clicker pump only makes 6psi so it couldn't keep up, hopefully the submersible will make atleast 30 psi.

11Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:14 pm

Skidmark

Skidmark
Another update.
It's up and running and starts on the button. So far the bike is connected to portable batterypack, I've placed the subaru submersible pump into a small container full of petrol and attached a smaller battery to this pump.' I connected the pump and had a strong return flow back into the same container.
I put the choke on and it fired straight up, I let it run for 5 minutes and turned the choke off and to my surprise it idled perfectly smooth. There is a little smoke but after 15 minutes it improved considerably so I think it will fine after a shakedown ride.
I also tested the charge circuit and the original fuel pump power wires and great news both were functional. So I don't think it wil be long before the k100rs is back on the road for good.

Thank you everyone for your inputs, I'm now have my eyes peeled for something to mount onto the sidecar chassis.

12Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:40 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
The fuel tank outputs  212902 good job!

The fuel tank outputs  9438-010

13Back to top Go down   The fuel tank outputs  Empty Re: The fuel tank outputs Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:07 pm

Skidmark

Skidmark
bad boy wrote:The fuel tank outputs  212902 good job!
You should have seen what was going on under the tank!
Someone had took the sender connector out of that square steel piece under the tank and wedged a bit of 10mm petrol hose into that 8.8mm hole where the sender was. Then the pump wires were fed up this pipe which was cable tied at the top of the tank to the internal metal pipes.

The entire pipe had melted and left just the fabric weave inside, before I drained for cleaning I saw the ancient petrol leaking from the dissolved pipe. I'm surprised it didn't go bang and catch fire between the bodgers legs!

Craziest bodge I've seen yet on a bike.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum