BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Empty Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:41 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
So I'm almost getting the restoration of this "Orange" K75S working. (Actually it's Red but a tad more orange than my old "Red" bike). Now I was seeing a couple of problems with the instrument pod. The problems are:
1.) Clock has the top row of the matrix of dots creating numbers fading in and out.
2.) The gear indicator shows the numbers "2", and "4"  messed up, and number 5 is seen as "6".
Hoping it was simply oxidation from sitting for 10 years I took the instrument pod off the bike and opened it up. First off I found the FPCB (flexible PCB) cable had a hole in it. Photo showing below. How they managed that I'm not sure. But it appears to be close to one of the mounting bolt holes so I have my suspicions. But I've begun isolating the two sides of the broken connecting wire for a permanent fix but in the meantime just ran a wire between the appropriate sides of two Green bulbs jumping over the hole as a temporary fix.

As a check I plugged in a Pod from a K100. The clock issue went away. I take this to mean it is simply oxidation. But the gear indicator issue is still present. So I'm guessing that  the problem may not be in the Inst. Pod but may be where the sensor fits on the gear box or the sensor itself is the problem. I've never messed with this feature before. So Helpful Suggestions/Comments are solicited. Can you get to the location easily and is cleaning the sensor difficult?

thanks J.Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Fpcb_s11
picture of the broken FPCB cable.

2Back to top Go down   Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Empty Rubber O-Rings Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:09 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
One of the several issues I've run across while working on this Inst pod/cluster is the O-ring gasket that seals the back to the pod (Part # 62111459232).  Initially I looked it up on Max BMW and they showed a price of USD $6.00.+. A call to several local dealers found the price has jumped to USD $14.00 ($13. + taxes) and would require ordering. And one dealer even reported it as discontinued.  With this information at hand I went down to my local hardware store and found O-rings 1/8" in diameter large enough to fit around the Instrument pod/cluster, price USD $2.54 + taxes. I think a diameter of 1/16" might be desirable but the 1/8" seems to be doing the job well enough.

3Back to top Go down   Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Empty Re: Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:55 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
The bad news is that yes, it looks like the GPI (gear position indicator) is either foobar'd or in need of a good clean. Do a search on GPI for lots of cussing on this very subject.

'Bad news' because the swingarm is going to have to come off.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Empty Re: Instrument Pod Issues/Repair Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:45 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:The bad news is that yes, it looks like the GPI (gear position indicator) is either foobar'd or in need of a good clean. Do a search on GPI for lots of cussing on this very subject.

'Bad news' because the swingarm is going to have to come off.
Yeah, which in turn forced me to make a long time judgement that there simply isn't enough room in my garage. So I made a call to my nephew and he is coming over today to pickup Blue, my longtime K100 project bike.  Sadly Blue has been forced out of the garage and as I seriously didn't have enough room to be able to pull the swing arm off I'm being forced to give him away. Kinda sucks as I figure I have USD $700 invested in him. But maybe someone younger and with more energy can get him back up and running.

Farewell Old BLue.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
So it seems that if the gear position display shows weird stuff, like gear "6", then the consensus is that the problem will be the gear position sensor/thingie on the back of the transmission. And as long as I'm going to be pulling the swing arm I might as well do the whole job and lube the splines which include the clutch splines. So now I'm looking at pulling the swing arm and the tranny and ooohh! Wonder if I can do this in this lifetime.

thanks all for your comments.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum