BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Lifting Handle removal Empty Lifting Handle removal Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:22 pm

Life time member
Life time member
The job of removing the lifting handle is not one that often needs to be done, hence the lack of information on how to do it for those attempting it for the first time. 

I thought I would post some pictures of the technique I use from a recent job. The model in question is a K75c from 1985. 

The springs on these have a flat retainer/end plate at either end with a locating hole on the inside for the spring and notches in the frame and handle for torsioning the spring to make it close automatically.

Later models have a V shaped Flat steel spring retainer which makes it slightly easier to remove and should be self explanatory when looking at it on the bike. 

Wear hand and Eye protection as these springs are strong!

Tools needed are:
  • Penetrating oil.
  • A small narrow nosed Locking pliers or Vice grips (I use the latter).
  • A narrow Flat blade screwdriver.
  • Possibly a strong assistant!

After allowing the oil to soak grab the rear facing retaining plate with the grips and pull hard while twisting, This moves it out of the retaining grooves. Keep pulling back whilst you or your assistant jams the screwdriver between the coils of the spring to hold the tension and stop the spring retracting into the frame. 
Lifting Handle removal K5_han10

You can now start to wriggle the plate on the spring to work it off, It will be stuck with some corrosion .

I found that by slipping the lifting handle over the nose of the vice grips it gave me a great method of putting sideways pressure on the plate to work it off the spring. 

Here is what the parts look like separated.

Lifting Handle removal K75_fr10

Once the plate is off the spring your handle lifts away and the other plate and spring can be puled through the tube from the front end.

I hope that helps someone.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

2Back to top Go down   Lifting Handle removal Empty Re: Lifting Handle removal Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:37 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Will. I gave up on that job on Kostenlot and just dumped a load of GT-85 in there. I'd still much rather have been able to strip and clean it.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Lifting Handle removal Empty Re: Lifting Handle removal Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:48 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I've done this many times. Instead of using pliers to pull on the half loop at the end of the spring I find that it is easier to loop a piece of wire through and then pull on that. 

Never bothered with penetrating oil. No point in using that for a spring.

A loop of wire also works well for removing/installing side and center stand springs.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Lifting Handle removal Empty Re: Lifting Handle removal Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:59 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:Never bothered with penetrating oil. No point in using that for a spring.
It's more for stopping any rust than lubrication, although it does help.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum