BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:20 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Hi
Now running 12 inch rear shock with front fork tubes lowered 15 mm. Have 87 k75 s with 17 90130 rear tire. How much can I cut out. I could do 2 inches just above the curve some say  40 mms others   35.
What say you?

2Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:28 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Centre stand to be cut Img_2075

3Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:09 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Measure how much you dropped the bike, then remove the same amount.

4Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:21 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
I want to take out maximum to make it easy. I put the centre stand down on a swivel plate to rotate the bike 180 degrees in my garage, this plate is.20 mms high.

Also any thoughts on use of side stand when centre stand shortened? Memsaab held bike vertical allowing me to check side stand use, will be close.
Cheers

5Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:17 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I put a shorter shock on my K75s. I bought a later straight leg stand and shortened it, as it was easier to do. In order to not weaken the stand I made up solid metal plugs to go inside the cut off stand. The ends of the cuts were Veed and the plugs pushed in then the stand was rewelded. I also had to modify the side stand as the lean angle was pretty upright. I made a jig up out of ply to work out the required lean. I heated up the stand with a blow torch and once red hot I placed it in a 3/4'' pipe bender and bent it a bit. I then tried it back in the jig to check it, it required a couple of more tweaks to get it right. As the stand was hot I was very quick with the angle checks. A metal jig would  have been better. If required I can see if I can find the amount that I removed. see original post https://www.bing.com/ck/a?
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:52 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for this martin. Busy till Monday . Will think on it till then. More thoughts always welcome.

7Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:24 am

Jordan53

Jordan53
Silver member
Silver member
Might it help if you used boards of various thickness under the wheels?
Then you could test the simulated change of stand height.

VIN: xxx0149621

8Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:07 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Jordan that's how we worked out the side stand lean.
Regards Martin

9Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:25 am

Jordan53

Jordan53
Silver member
Silver member
If using the board method, remember to allow for the angle of stand legs.
You need to change the vertical height, so unless the legs are parallel the amount cut out will be a bit longer.

VIN: xxx0149621

10Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:29 am

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Shown, if I can get pictures to load, is a 40mms rod, the length I will take out. This length is max I can remove without getting into trouble with the lift arm. Will make tracing on paper of the angle I get from the square shown. Checking scrap bin for round stock to use for plugs. Might braze joint or arc weld depends on fit up.

11Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:30 am

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Centre stand to be cut Img_2078

12Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:22 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I took out 40mm but ended up putting a RH side stand on my bike . Without the RH side stand the rear tyre was just off the ground. The RH stand went between the OEM stand mount and the gearbox effectively reducing the amount I removed to 30mm. Another member was happy with taking out 35mm. I looked at using my curved leg stand but I concluded that I would of had to remove the material from above the crossbar which would have meant modifying/shortening the crossbar the modification off the straight leg one was simpler. Which ever one you use after welding allow it to air cool do not quench it to speed up the cooling. This can make the metal brittle.
Regards Martin.

13Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:40 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Crawled around under the bike today again. Looks like I will get into a little trouble with the rubber bumper on the muffler. The plan is to cut the 40 mms just above the curve it would be close, may chance it; the centre stand is no good with the 12 inch shock.Centre stand to be cut Img_2079

14Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:16 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Lucki did you read the link it might help https://www.bing.com/ck/a? I don't know of anyone shortening a curved leg stand maybe someone on the forum has done it? Due to the fact that by removing 40mm from my straight leg stand it was only just clearing the ground you might want to take less out of your stand 30-35mm. You should be able to work out how much by fitting the shorter shock and with help, it will require two putting it up onto the stand. You can then see how much you need to remove. Have you looked for a straight leg stand?
Regards Martin.

15Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:52 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Reread your post, have not cut it yet. 35 would make the bumper issue better. Probably give it a shot with the curved stand next week. Thanks.

16Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:09 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Which ever way you go I would find or make up plugs to strengthen the weld joints.
Regards Martin.

17Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:06 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Yes. Slug it and plug it. A butt weld will snap as soon as you put any pressure on it.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

18Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:58 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Plugs are done also going  with 35 mm.
Made up plywood  jig to maintain angels
Cue align weld next week, likely arc weld , 7018 rod

Centre stand to be cut Img_2080Centre stand to be cut Img_2080Centre stand to be cut Img_2081

19Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:24 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
7018 2mm should be good enough.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

20Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:08 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
Done. Thoughts:
With 35mms out of centre stand rear tire one and one half inches off the floor.
Has it made it easier to put it on the stand, a little. Would I do it again, no. Too much work for too little gain, just my view. Hope this helps others.

21Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:05 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I had to shorten my stand as it was impossible to get it onto the stand with the shorter shock fitted. What's the lean angle like when using the side stand.
Regards Martin.

22Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:39 pm

lucki

lucki
Silver member
Silver member
My side stand bushing is worn so no issue for me.

23Back to top Go down   Centre stand to be cut Empty Re: Centre stand to be cut Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:23 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
lucki wrote:My side stand bushing is worn so no issue for me.
Have you taken a look? IME it's most likely to be the pivot rather than the holes it pivots in. There's no bush per se.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum