BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Maintenance & Fluids Empty Maintenance & Fluids Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:48 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Just a quick question. But I've been working my way through a complete fluid change and the last item on the list is coolant. Can anyone tell me why we change out the coolant on a regular basis? I live in a moderate climate and I don't think I've ever changed out the coolant on my car except as on a need be basis which hasn't happened in quite some time.

Just wondering? So tell me some REAL stories of all the terrible things that happen when you don't. I need to scare myself into doing it. Just spent three days replacing brake pads and fluids. Or at least pumping in some new brake fluid.

2Back to top Go down   Maintenance & Fluids Empty Re: Maintenance & Fluids Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:09 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I don't change mine - I just top it up when needed. Even worse, I frequently don't even bother with coolant because I live in a soft water area, so no limestone to clog the system up. Yeah, the water does turn an ugly shade of peat brown eventually, but I can't see it so I don't worry about it Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Maintenance & Fluids Empty Re: Maintenance & Fluids Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:18 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
When I bought the last lot of coolant off BMW I was surprised to find it is now lifetime coolant. cheers Previously I used to change BMW coolant every 2 years, then I found Castrol coolant test strips and after 4 years the coolant was still testing  fine. I just went out and tested the coolant and it tested at the top end of both scales so that makes it 5 years on BMW coolant and distilled water mix.  cheers cheers Note I believe my brick has only ever had BMW coolant and there have never been any signs of corrosion or discolouration.
Regards Martin.
Maintenance & Fluids Bmw_co12
Maintenance & Fluids Castro13

4Back to top Go down   Maintenance & Fluids Empty Re: Maintenance & Fluids Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:05 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I use Peak Long Life coolant and change it at 5 year intervals.  It gives me something to do when I can't ride.  

If you have never changed the coolant, you have no idea of what it is, how long it's been in the engine, and if it was mixed with hard water.  For that reason I would just do the change and maybe a flush to make sure the system is working at peak efficiency.  When riding in hot weather you want to have the system working as well as possible.

Keep in mind that the reason for changing is that the anti-corrosion additives "wear out" over time in older coolants.  They are needed to prevent corrosion from making holes in the aluminum passages in the radiator.

Note: even if you have soft water, it's best to use distilled water with the coolant in a 60/40 water/coolant mix.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content