BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cleaning/painting saddlebag/panniers Empty Cleaning/painting saddlebag/panniers Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:54 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Just did a front brake pad replacement job on my 91 Silver K75.When I took i out for a checkout ride some brake fluid apparently got on the right saddlebag/pannier.  Before I start repainting the saddlebags  I thought to ask if anyone has ever had to clean brake fluid off of the plastic bits, ie saddlebags. And how did you do it and how did it go?

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Water. A lot of water - preferably from a hosepipe. If the paint isn't showing signs of lifting just yet then you may be lucky and save it. Decades ago I got into the habit of 'fixing the brakes - hose the bike down just in case'.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Water. A lot of water - preferably from a hosepipe. If the paint isn't showing signs of lifting just yet then you may be lucky and save it. Decades ago I got into the habit of 'fixing the brakes - hose the bike down just in case'.
 Did that. But it's the plastic saddlebags/panniers that got some streaks on it. Well as well as the windscreen. The windscreen doesn't matter particularly as it is painted black.

Did find a spray for vinyl and fabric that I will try.

J.

canbb

canbb
Did you have any luck with the vinyl spray?
Did the brake fluid peel the pain? I ask because I want to replace a broken unpainted cover but only have painted ones.  I am well aware of what brake fluid can do to paint but never thought of using it to strip a painted cover.
Has anyone tried this on purpose (by accident) and what were the results?
M

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It's not that good as a paintstripper per se. It only strips paint off where and when you don't want it to.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
The material which I've been using most recently (don't know if it is US only) is by the company "Dupli-Color" and is labeled "VINYL & FABRIC" Specialty Coating. Can claims it is "Flexible Finish for Dashboards, door panels, Center Consoles,Trim ". I purchased it at O'Reily's, a local auto supply store. And recently tested it when I dropped my bike on San Francisco's Muni tracks. I sand papered off what I could of the scrapes on my saddle bag and then sprayed it with this stuff. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. Not yet tested it with regards to long term sun damage or other cleaning products. I did wipe the bag down with denatured alcohol before spraying.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum