BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   a harbinger of bad things to come? Empty a harbinger of bad things to come? Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:28 pm

letsgetpractical

letsgetpractical
So I go out for a ride on my K bike '85 and now when I press the right or left signal button both signal lights turn on when button pushed but immediately stop when button released.  Also horn stopped working.  any gurus out there tell me what could cause that?

2Back to top Go down   a harbinger of bad things to come? Empty bad things Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:50 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Looking at the wiring diagram, I think a bad earth could cause that problem. Under the tank is a point where many earth wires bolt to the frame, that might be worth a look.

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
letsgetpractical wrote:So I go out for a ride on my K bike 85' and now when I press the right or left signal button both signal lights turn on when button pushed but immediately stop when button released.  Also horn stopped working.  any gurus out there tell me what could cause that?
I had a similar issue with indicators only working when holding left of right button on a recent KFest gathering in Belgium back in May…mine was a really easy and obvious fault - a sticky switch. Check the indicator cancel switch (right hand side)…mine had stuck in the pressed position, so effectively was telling the indicators to cancel all the time. A squirt of wd40 and a wipe over with a rag and the accumulated grease, water, Belgium beer residue was gone and the button springing back as it is supposed to again.

Horn - possibly a broken wire, but check the wiring diagram and do some investigation on the bike. The horns are pretty bomb proof

Good luck

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

4Back to top Go down   a harbinger of bad things to come? Empty Bad things to come Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:20 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Doh, I didn't read your post carefully, another possibility is that fuse 7 has blown, it powers the indicators and the horns.

I missed the detail that both sides get power when you press either button, when it should be only one side, therefore that seems like a power supply problem.

The way I assume the flasher unit works is that it has a power input from the green/brown wire at pin 15 for the indicators, and a power input from the red/white wire at pin 30 for the hazard lights. Sometimes hazard lights are needed with the ignition off and the key removed, so that needs to be a constant battery supply. That makes me think that removing power from pin 15 by removing fuse 7 could reproduce your systems.

5Back to top Go down   a harbinger of bad things to come? Empty Bad things to come Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:56 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I just removed fuse 7 to see if it reproduced your symptoms, it did, but only on the final attempt, which was about the fifth attempt, with a mixed bag of results on the prior attempts. Replacing the fuse resulted in everything going back to normal again.

letsgetpractical

letsgetpractical
daveyson wrote:I just removed fuse 7 to see if it reproduced your symptoms, it did, but only on the final attempt, which was about the fifth attempt, with a mixed bag of results on the prior attempts. Replacing the fuse resulted in everything going back to normal again.
Interesting but at the same time, very Squirrelly.....

7Back to top Go down   a harbinger of bad things to come? Empty Bad things to come Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:42 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Everytime I removed the fuse, the horn wouldn't work, the mixed results were with the blinkers. One of the typical symptoms was that pressing the left turn switch resulted in the left lights blinking, but only once. Pressing the right switch also resulted in the left lights blinking. Pressing the cancel switch also resulted in the left lights blinking. Walked away from the bike thinking, that didn't work. Went back to the bike a few minutes later with a new idea, still no good. Had a few other goes at it. Finally got it on the last attempt, felt like a fluke.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Turn signal gremlins are often a sign of a dirty starter.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

9Back to top Go down   a harbinger of bad things to come? Empty Bad things to come Yesterday at 9:08 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Yep, could be a dirty starter failing to provide earth to the load shed relay, and therefore no power to fuse 7.

The first thing the horns and indicators have in common is fuse 7. It would be good to replace the fuse and clean the contacts. If the fuse is good, then check if it's getting power, which it gets from the load shed relay. If the load shed relay isn't getting earth from the starter, then the following lights also wouldn't be working, high beam, low beam, flash to pass, cluster backlights, parking light, and tail light.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum