BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Hello there from Belgium Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:27 am

Malletjie

Malletjie
Bought myself a "Barn find" today, a 1996 K100 LT.
Needs a lot of work, many would call it a nichtmare but I have time as I am retired.
Guess I will need lots of help getting it running and only then will I polish it up and make it prity again. Bike came with papers so thats a good start.

Not my first project but the other all been Jap's. I have been riding bikes since my 14 and once 18 got my first Beemer. All been boxers so now lets see how this flying brick will turn out!

Lived 40 years in Africa and worked years as an off-road tourguide and BMW qualified off-road instructor. Had many GSA's and never had an issue, neither with my bikes, clients or rentals!

Last edited by Malletjie on Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:44 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
hello Malletjie
Hello there from Belgium 177912

Hello there from Belgium 9438-010

3Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:17 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Hello Malletjie, The drivetrain of the early GS's was taken from the 16v K so no surprise you didn't have issues. Aside from a few, easily resolved, issues (usually from lack of maintenance) they are one of the most reliable bikes ever built. Whenever I take on a new project I allow for doing a deep service,  the rear main seal and O ring, clutch, Oil pump seals and vacuum hoses, After that brakes, tyres and a new battery and they're good for many  thousands of miles. It's sometimes more rewarding to fix up a barn find than hop on a show pony.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:20 am

Malletjie

Malletjie
Hello there from Belgium Screen10
Hello there from Belgium 25ae4010

The idea is to go from the "Barn find" to something like above, give or take!

5Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:25 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Malletjie wrote:Bought myself a "Barn find" today, a 1996 K100 LT.
The last production year of the LT in Europe was 1991, according to realoem. Maybe you should run the last seven digits of the Brick's VIN through the VIN-checker there to verify its year.

6Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:27 am

Malletjie

Malletjie
Road registrationnpapers say 1996, will check vin

7Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:23 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Never believe the road registration papers. Mine say 'manufactured May 1984' which is absolutely not true. It was manufactured in November 1983.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   Hello there from Belgium Empty Re: Hello there from Belgium Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:07 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Welkom Malletjie,  

In the past I did a little riding down there with friends in Jo'burg, mainly Suzuki and Yamahas.  The local breakfast run to Hartbeespoort Dam, a run down to the Cape and other local rides.  

I would be interested in how far north you went as I only reached northern Botswana by car including the Okavango and Kasane.  Met a few overlanders on the way and some parts of Oz are similar to SA and environs.  A beautiful part of the world and largely going backwards nowadays.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum