BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Steering Locks Empty Steering Locks Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:42 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
"Steering Lock" defined. It is that lock on the left side steering tube that when working properly will lock the forks. Used as a theft deterrent.

Ok, I do acknowledge that  1) because of placement is difficult to use on some models  2.) Can easily be broken simply by whipping the handle bars back and forth {this was told to me} 3.) gets in the way.

Still I am trying to get the bike all together with all the locks working and that requires that I pull this lock and work it. So is the lock cylinder held in place simply by the cover? The plastic cover is held on by one pin which I am told is removed with a chisel or other sharp instrument and then pulled after the cover is pulled off. A sharp set of pliers was mentioned.  But once the cover is removed does the cylinder/tumbler just pull out or do you have to have the appropriate key and then rotate it?

So the question is will the tumbler/cylinder pull out without the key or missing the key do you need to drill the tumbler/cylinder out? Inquiring minds and all that!

2Back to top Go down   Steering Locks Empty Re: Steering Locks Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:31 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I was warned that they have a tendency to fail either in the unlocked or locked position. You do not want it to fail in the locked position. I haven't used mine in  20 + years and use a brake disc lock with a built in alarm. The disc lock won't fit the front disc and I have to use it on the rear with two of the coiled wire warning devices.
Regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum