BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Lunartek

Lunartek
Hi all.

As the title says, I've picked up a 1986 K100 RS that's been sat for 14 years. It's got some superficial rust on the frame and exhaust etc.

However, I'd like to get it running before I strip it for restoration. 

I'm hoping someone is able to give some advice on the best approach here (as I'm a total noob). cheers

I was thinking - Check/clean/replace fuel tank, pump and lines. Oil change. Clean/replace fuel injectors and spark plug. 

Is this a good plan or should I be worried that the engine is seized after this time?

Thanks,

Alex

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Oil change, fresh fuel with a fuel system cleaner, and shoot a little bit of oil in the cylinders then give it a try with a fresh battery.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  If the bike was running when put away, the chances are pretty good that it will run now. 

Have you done a good clean on the bike?  It's always a lot more pleasant to work on a nice clean machine.  That is always the first thing I do to a bike that is new to me.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Lunartek

Lunartek
Thanks for the reply and tips. It was running when put away so fingers crossed! 

I've not cleaned it yet. Not actually had a moment spare for it. But a good clean is definitely on the cards!

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Pop the petrol cap.  Does any fuel left in there smell like furniture polish? The pump and filter, as well as the injector rail/injectors are likely gummy. Modern fuels don't stand well for more than four years, even with stabilisers added before storage. If everything seems dry and clean then .75's advice is a very good way to approach a first firing. Prepare for some exhaust smoke. It is almost required from early K bikes, especially if it wasn't stored level on the main stand.

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
Lunartek wrote:Hi all.

As the title says, I've picked up a 1986 K100 RS that's been sat for 14 years. It's got some superficial rust on the frame and exhaust etc.

However, I'd like to get it running before I strip it for restoration. 

I'm hoping someone is able to give some advice on the best approach here (as I'm a total noob). cheers

I was thinking - Check/clean/replace fuel tank, pump and lines. Oil change. Clean/replace fuel injectors and spark plug. 

Is this a good plan or should I be worried that the engine is seized after this time?

Thanks,

Alex
Where to start ? Well, mine was the same way . It sat with old gas in the tank for 15 years. Assume the fuel delivery system from everything in the tank down to the injectors is toast. I was able to re-use the injectors and rail but everything above that I replaced. Euromoto Electrics is your friend. He had most of what I needed. Once you get past the fuel system an oil change before you even turn it over, an air filter, a complete cleaning of all the electrical connections, a new battery, and it should be ready to crank. Then you'll need tires and brakes. This is what I did with mine and when I finally pressed the button she started and ran pretty good. After some use, she started running better and better. This whole process started in 2016 and was finished in November of 2017. Since it's been about 13,000 miles of mostly trouble-free service. There are no shortcuts to bring a bike back from a 15-year sleep. I got a huge amount of really good info and advice here and you will too. Best of luck

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
+1 on checking the fuel tank first.

I have just gone through this with my K1100LT. For many reasons it has sat in my garage. It was on a battery tender, and had been fired up a number of times and kept clean.

Two week ago, after replacing the aged rubber hydraulic brake lines with modern Goodridge parts and bleeding all the system, I decided to fire it up and ride down my drive to test the ABS start up checks. Well the engine turned over but it wouldn't start. I noticed the pump wasn't priming so opened the petrol cap. Yep, varnish smell. Removed the cap and had a better look and feel inside. All rubber parts turning to mush, fuel pump buggered, and filter while partially block could just be blown through.

As you are in the UK Motorworks is handy for new & Used parts. If you buy new it will be a bit expensive. Also make sure you get the high pressure fuel pipe that is suitable for use when fully immersed in the tank.

I should know better!!!

Mike

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
On the question of gunge in the fuel tank anyone got any tips on washing it out (I was considering White Vinegar).

Mike

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I and several others have had good results with a white vinegar soak followed by a scrub with a Scotch Brite pad.

Gets it looking like new.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the confirmation, off to buy some white vinegar and nick the wife's scotch bright pads !

Mike

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum