BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Empty Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:45 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Came across this gadget when my local motorbike accessory shop emailed me recently.

Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Img_3211
Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Img_3210

My Garmin LM590 GPS is getting a bit tired now. The micro USB port disintegrated recently and I had to get a local electronic repairman to fix it (too fiddly for my ham fisted soldering skills). I was considering replacing it soon but didn’t like the price tag that came with motorbike GPS units. When I’m in my car, I use the Waze app for all my navigation …so why not use it on the bike?

The plug & go ride cast is about half the price of a bike GPS and a fraction of the weight. It claims to be IP7 water resistant. It can either be plugged into a USB port or hardwired in. At the moment, it only comes with a handlebar mount which isn’t much use for a K bike with the lack of clear bar to attach it to, however, with a little fabrication I fixed it to the RAM mount that I used to use to attach my heavy old GPS to the dash pad. As it’s still in trial mode, I haven’t hardwired it in yet.

Things I like:
  • 5” colour touch screen display
  • Connects to phone automatically (after initial Bluetooth set up)
  • Connects to either the bike speakers or my helmet intercom via Bluetooth
  • Clear sound to headset for route instructions and hands free phone calls
  • Connects to and displays my Waze app to give me (free) navigation with live traffic information, including hazard and police warnings)
  • Option of full or split screen
  • Ability to play and control music at same time as navigating

Things not so good:
  • Inbuilt speaker is weedy and inaudible at 100% in all but quietest places
  • Volume control on unit only controls the inbuilt speaker volume…I really wanted it to be able to control phone volume (music and directions) however, I still have volume control via my helmet headset and just need to set phone to max volume before setting off.
  • Screen is made of quite soft plastic which is really easy to scratch. I have stuck a tempered glass phone screen over mine which provides the necessary protection.
  • The lack of mounting options
  • It says it’s removable, but seems pretty fixed to me once fitted. I’ve made mine removable for parking in less desirable overnight locations.
  • I’m guessing it only works with data connection…might be an issue if exploring in the wilds of nowhere or venturing to foreign roads where data roaming might be an issue (e-sims are a cheap option for overseas data connection at excellent rate)

Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Img_6414
Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Img_6413
So far so good.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

2Back to top Go down   Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Empty Re: Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:25 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
On advice from JB777 I went down a similar path a MTC-10 EKIY GPS Navigation Motorcycle IPX7 Waterproof Apple Carplay Display Screen Portable Motorcycle Wireless Android Auto Monitor off Aliexpress for $80.00 au. Gary had to come over and set it up for me but so far I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I might however have to upgrade my headset currently a $50.00 Au Aldi Signify which is quite a few years old. I'm wearing Alpine headset compatible earplugs and it's hard to hear anything above 70KPH. Following a bit of advice yesterday I added a thicker piece of foam to move the speakers closer to my ears unfortunately too thick and it kept folding my ears over and it was impossible to unfold them. So it's going to be a case off slowly increasing the thickness until a compromise can be achieved. If the thicker foam doesn't work with increasing the volume I'll probably have to upgrade to a Sena or Cardo.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Empty Re: Apple CarPlay for motorbikes Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:40 pm

dbier

dbier
Intersting device!  I don't make long road trips so I simply installed a RAM phone mount which holds the phone securely on the handlebars where I can see the navigation app screen (Google Maps) - and the phone bluetooth connects to my helmet intercom speakers so I can also hear the spoken directions as well as my music. 

I was a little leery of the phone slipping off (which hasn't happened) - but to be safe I also added their rubber tether which stretches around each corner of the phone...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X387ZS/
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounts-X-Grip-Tether-RAM-TETHER1U/dp/B09M7S9YVL/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum