BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Seat cowl material Empty Seat cowl material Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:04 pm

The_Tick

The_Tick
Good evening

Dose anyone happen to know what material the seat cowl is made of. I’m currently cutting one up for a build and to make some modifications in shape and size. Making it narrower but before I buy an epoxy/fiberglass or automotive resin I want to be sure it will adhere. i really like the shape but it’s too  wide for my tail.

2Back to top Go down   Seat cowl material Empty Re: Seat cowl material Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:43 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It's proprietory to BMW and they call it Fibron. It's a very high density sandwich of polyester resins, stranded fiberglass and fillers (usually marble dust!). It can be modified/repaired with epoxy resins but you might want to consider using something like fiberglass drywall tape to hold things together first (get it off Amazon as I'm not sure it's off the shelf here in the UK) and then a normal fibreglass mat to build it up. I did repair a broken tail unit (one side snapped off by Hermes) but I fitted a 1.5mm stainless plate along the break before applying glassfibre/epoxy. I used 3mm dome-head allen screws with form G ('penny') washers on the other side of the join. Given the amount of pressure and abuse a seat unit takes, I didn't trust just a glassfibre repair.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Seat cowl material Empty Re: Seat cowl material Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:37 pm

The_Tick

The_Tick
Amazing thank you Dai!! You are truly a fountain of knowledge!!!

4Back to top Go down   Seat cowl material Empty Re: Seat cowl material Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
You can make a safe bet that I learned the composition from someone else on this forum. I also meant to mention that I glued as well as screwed the stainless strip to the underside of the seat unit.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum