BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty forum image hosting icon Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:46 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi,

I have not found a forum topic for this so I suppose this one is as good as any.

There is an icon for hosting and embedding images. The first time I used this it did not do anything. I went through it all the moves and it did not insert my image.

As far as I can, the first time you use it does some automatic inscription with an external image hosting service. Some time later ( next day ?) it all works.

I thought maybe I had to set myself up an account there independently but that did not seem possible ( despite them having a register page :? )

It would be helpful to have some info somewhere of the forum explaining how all this works.

Now I used this functionality to upload a few images ( graphs ) . Two of these had a scaling error that I wanted to correct, so I uploaded a new version and changed the links in my posts.  However, other users have quoted my posts and thus include the original graphs with the error and I can't edit those quotes to correct the link.  I would like to delete the incorrect version to avoid confusion.

However, I can't log into the image hosting site since it was not me who  did the inscription.

Could someone explain if this is done with a central forum owned account or whether each member has an independent ID  that is set up automatically?

If it is individual ( which it seems to be because of the set-up detail ) is there a way for a member to access images that he has uploaded and remove them?

Thanks for any clarifications on how this works.

2Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:58 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:51 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks Charlie, I've already sussed the cntl_V thing, but that was not the question.

The question was do we have any control over content we have posted using this mechanism? Does the forum software use my forum login to create some space on the image hosting service or is it a single centralised account run by the forum?

4Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:26 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The hosting server for the the pics is servimg.com and it is registered with the forum.
When an image is saved on servimg, you cannot delete it.
If a member delete his account on the forum, all his post will appear as Guest but all the pics will still show on his original posts.

If the picture has been quoted by somebody else on a reply (which is your case), what they quoted was the link of the original picture. Even if you replace the picture on your post, the new picture is another link and the quote cannot be automatically updated.
If it has already been quoted, the only thing that could be done is ask the member to modify the reply.

A good practice when you quote somebody is to trim the quote to a minimum. Nobody has to read the whole post or see multiple pictures again.
Here is an example how to quote what is relevant in your post.
Beamer wrote:Could someone explain if this is done with a central forum owned account or whether each member has an independent ID  that is set up automatically?

You can use your own hosting server for your images but I have a problem with that and I explain why:
Some members are using their personal Photobucket account. This is great until their photobucket account is full and they have to clean it up. Then, the link for the picture on their post is broken and you get a big red cross instead of the pic.

Anybody (forum member or not) can have their own personal account on servimg.com

5Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:03 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks for a clear explanation of how it works. I appreciate the continuity argument, we often find forums where links are broken. It's not big deal for my image I just wanted to know how it works and whether I can make corrections.

The down-side is if someone adds ( to take a totally hypothetical example ! )  let's say a circuit diagram with an error,  it would make it impossible for that member to remove it later when the mistake is noticed.  I guess in this case , if it was important it would be possible to PM a moderator and ask for something to be deleted.

Crazy Frog wrote:Anybody (forum member or not) can have their own personal account on servimg.com

I could not find a way to do that. I went to their site and could see no way to subscribe. :?  Only a password reset for existing accounts.  Is that service still open to new accounts?

Maybe it's a browser problem or something.

6Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:20 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Beamer wrote:
I could not find a way to do that. I went to their site and could see no way to subscribe. :?  Only a password reset for existing accounts.  Is that service still open to new accounts?
Maybe it's a browser problem or something.
Great, you get the concept of using the quotation properly without cluttering your post.
This is a perfect example for others.

About servimg, you are right. There is no more option to register for a new user.
I have several personal accounts that I setup years ago and never noticed the change.

I believe Servimg is now exclusively for blogs and forums but they kept the old users.

CF

7Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Be very careful about using Servimg.  Several months ago I clicked on a link to a servimg photo on this forum and ended up downloading a virus that locked up my computer. 

I don't know how it happened, but I surely won't click on links to servimg anymore if I spot them first.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

8Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:42 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
That sounds very odd as you describe it. How did you download and install some software by clicking on an link to a photo?

Do you recall where that was, did you signal it happening so that CF could remove it?

The forum button does a small thumbnail and links to the photo surrounded by all the cruft on serveimg site. Maybe there was some dubious link as an ad or other content provided on that site.

I've taken to modifying automatically inserted links to just link straight to the hosted image with no cruft. That seems cleaner and faster and as a bonus prevents any other possibly dodgy links coming up.

I've not been served with anything other than the expected images but if this is confirmed maybe Crazy would consider changing the pop-up to produce direct links only.

9Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
A recent issue has arisen with a posting of mine .

This image was PM'd to me by Gaz, 
https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/38/73/63/bike_c10.jpg

I copied it to my post for use by forum members .
K75cster has recently tried enlarging the image, but the link takes it back to the inbox , possibly because that is where I dragged it from.
moral of the story , copy original pics to your harddrive , then post up from your files.
Cheers Ed.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
forum image hosting icon 10_x_110

10Back to top Go down   forum image hosting icon Empty Re: forum image hosting icon Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
The image is already hosted. I think better to right click the image and click 'copy image location' and paste that into the 'Host Image' button.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 forum image hosting icon Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum